Among the candidates for the new composition of the Central Electoral Commission (CEC), submitted by the President to the Parliament, there is not a single one from the OPPOSITION BLOC, despite the fact that the letter with the list of candidates from the faction was sent to the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko as early as January 30, 2018. MP from the OPPOSITION BLOC Yuriy Myroshnychenko stated this during a briefing in the corridors of the Verkhovna Rada.
“Today we hear statements that the OPPOSITION BLOC allegedly has not submitted its candidates. But as early as January 30, we sent a letter to the President of Ukraine with a list of candidates from the faction to the new composition of the CEC,” the MP said.
Yuriy Myroshnychenko during the briefing read the letter signed by the Co-Chairman of the faction Yuriy Boyko, which on January 30, 2018 was sent to the President of Ukraine (scanned copy of the letter we submit below).
“Today is the 5th of July. Therefore, when considering such an important issue, Yuriy Boyko’s letter should have already been taken into account. By the way, when the president expressed not even legal but political demands about the impossibility of participation in the electoral process of CEC members who had previously worked in this body, we changed our candidacies. Unfortunately, there is no reaction. Throughout the period, despite our official and unofficial appeals, despite the consultations that took place in the parliament, there was no reaction regarding the nomination of those candidates,” the parliamentarian said.
According to Yuriy Myroshnychenko, during the upcoming elections the issue of their legitimacy will be the key. “It’s not about the ambitions of the OPPOSITION BLOC, but about the values and trust in the election results, which will be set by the CEC members. And I did not want Europe and the whole civilized world and Ukrainian citizens to doubt the objectivity of establishing the results of the elections,” the opposition politician noted.
“We hope that the President of Ukraine, in accordance with the requirements of the Constitution and the law, the PACE resolutions will take into account those candidates who were proposed by our faction and will have 13 candidates at the time of voting, and among these 13 there will be two candidates proposed by the OPPOSITION BLOC”, Yuriy Myroshnychenko said.